Monday, 10 June 2013

1st Quilt - All Finished . . .

I'm so proud . . . .It's taken 1 1/2 years to complete but I finally squared up my 1st ever quilt over the weekend and spent yesterday hand sewing the binding edge whilst sat outside enjoying the sunshine! Bliss.

Patchwork binding all ironed and  ready to go.

patchwork binding close-up

Part-binded edges
 I was really struggling to decide which fabric I should use for the binding when one of the assistants at Aberkhan suggested that I do a patchwork binding in fabrics used in the main body of the quilt. This took a little more time to complete but I could not be happier with the result. It wouldn't look as good with a plain edge.






What do you think? I think it's safe to say that Millie is a fan!

I'd like to say a HUGE thanks to the Craftsy website and the amazing tutor Amy Gibson for the tutorials for this quilt. They've been really clear and informative throughout and I've learnt so much.

Now I'm going to go and snuggle under it with a Pimms in front of the TV . . . . . . .


3 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

Gemma, it's a beautiful quilt and you did a great job! I love a scrappy binding - and it's such a good way to use up the scraps from a quilt! Whoop whoop for you!!

Gemma Healey said...

Thanks Sarah - I' whooping with the best of them right now! ;p

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed (and learnt) making this quilt. I can see why quilting is such a labour of love and will definately be making another.

xx

Kymberly said...

This is such an amazing quilt. I can't believe it's your first one. I love scrappy bindings. They do such a great job of pulling together all the colors used in the quilt.