Thursday, 16 May 2013

Randomness (with a blue-tit family and cactus thrown in for good measure)!

Hello and welcome to a rather random post here at EDiS. . . . . .

EGGGGGGGSSSSSSSS!
Our household has been pretty excitable of late.  Not just because I've been adding to my (already pretty impressive) fabric stash. We've also had a pair of blue tits making a nest during April (well, I say a pair but the female did all the grafting whilst the male chilled on the peanut feeder 'observing') A familiar scenario me thinks! 
It's been a slow process, due to the cold start to the year but last Wednesday, we finally had eggs. 
 By the end of the week there was a pretty impressive 10 shiny teeny eggs in the nest with a rather smug mother nearby (the blue tit that was)!

Mmmmmm - breakfast!
Myself and himself were over the moon. Millie our little moggy is equally hooked! I bought 'himself' the bird-box camera as a gift for Christmas (as he's a nightmare to choose 'normal' gifts for). Then came the dilemma of which bird box to fit it into. Should we go  for the pristine shop-bought affair or for the chunky hand made (by moi!) one?
Well in the end he chose the chunky one . . the best choice I dare say! It was possible to fit a 'false ceiling'-type affair to hide the wires from mischievous prying beaks! Et-Voila!

The camera we have is from Amazon and has so far proven to be excellent. It's teeny tiny in size is colour but also flicks to night-vision automatically when needed. The colour - bit is great (but as it is in a darkened box, not currently utilised). Once the birds have moved out, we may set this up as a security camera on the outside of the house. Not that we need it but it seems a shame not to use it!
Anyhow, back to our feathered neighbours - we've fondly called them Mr Blue Sky and Betty!  I'm busy thinking up 10 names for the offspring . . . . suggestions very welcome :D

The eggs are gradually increasing in size and Mr Blue Sky is now starting to feed Betty on the nest . . . . this is just too cute for words.
Yesterday he flew into the nest whilst Betty was out stretching her wings. He was being really nosey with the eggs and kept looking out the door waiting for her arrival home, tweeting quietly all the while.

I'll be sure to keep you updated when the little ones start hatching. In the meantime I need to stop Millie fro licking the TV!!!

I've also been very busy making this gorgeous little creation . . . .


Talk about a little random - it's my cactus pincushion. Surely every home should have one!!!

I'm making this from the lovely book Stash Happy Patchwork by Cynthia Shaffer. I just need to get myself a small pot so that I can complete the base. 
The flower on the top is a great finishing touch don't you think?
It'll look great once it's full of 'prickly' pins :)

I'm still quilting my Craftsy BOM - only a few more blocks to do and then the binding. I'll share photos of the finished article soon (I hope) as it has been such a long-winded affair. I just can't wait to get it done now so that I can enjoy it's snugness (and let's face it - I think I might need it what with summer not arriving properly as yet!)

I'm off to get on with some much-needed household chores but I'll be back soon with more Blue-tit news and some finished projects. Plus more on the Julie Arkell project I'm about to start with my Year 10's.

Until then, happy sewing x

No comments: