Monday, 8 April 2013

Easter Break Sewing fun............

I've been enjoying the Easter break so far and still have a while to go as return to school on Wednesday, 17th April. I've been getting on with lots of lovely tasks (as well as some not-so-great ones such as cleaning the oven!) and this is all in addition to being out-of-action with flu most of last week.
The last few days I've been quilting my first ever patchwork quilt which I put together whilst following the Craftsy Block of The Month lessons throughout last year (which is completely free and well worth checking out here). It's actually much less intimidating than I originally thought and it's really taking shape.

Planning the final layout of my blocks

Sewing the sashing on between blocks

Sewing each row together and adding borders

Cutting the wadding & backing fabric to size

Pinning the layers together


I really did learn so much whilst following the course and have used the techniques many times since in other projects.

At the moment I'm quilting the blocks at a rate of a couple a day. These take time as I want to get them as accurate as possible. It's also a bit of a fight with my machine (standard size) to quilt a large double-sized spread such as this, as I soon figured out! It's a fun challenge but is actually pretty physical!
Squeezing through my machine whilst quilting

I'll keep posting updates of my patchwork quilt as I see it as a long-term project.

I've also been busy catching up on all my favourite crafty blogs and once again, I've been flicking through my vast sewing & crafty magazine stash to get myself inspired.......



I've previously blogged about how much I LOVE Mollie Makes magazine.... as you can tell from my stash (sadly still missing issue 3) and whilst at the Sewing for Pleasure show recently at the NEC, I discovered another gorgeous magazine which is similar in format but covers a larger array of creative avenues.

It's called Crafty Magazine (and I've since also seen it for sale in Tescos!) and it's well worth a look if you love your crafty reads as much as I do.

I've already had a go at making one of the gorgeous bugs and found the instructions really clear. Patterns were also included ....


Pretty Moth project
I really loved the artist interviews and the item on Graffiti but the illustrations of the staff and the contributors are a little creepy! The free Calico fabric was a bonus but not worth buying for that alone.

My chair refurbishment project is coming along nicely so I'll post about that in my next rambling as it'll take some time to get all my lovely photos together and a step-by-step shabby chic tutorial.

In the meantime, I'll be watching the Great British Sewing Bee  (hmmm the jury is still out on this series) and be busy quilting and baking no doubt.

Until next time,

Happy crafting

3 comments:

Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

The quilt is looking fabulous - what patience. Look forward to seeing the final piece.

Elaine

Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

Your quilt is fantastic, can't wait to see the finished piece.

Elaine

sewingroomsecrets said...

Hi! I've enjoyed reading your blog and I wanted to tell you that I've nominated you for a Liebster Award. Please pop over to my blog when you get a free moment to find our more about the award. Natalie x