Thursday, 21 March 2013

Sewing for Pleasure Show - NEC 2013

Hi all,

Well I'm totally shattered as I've just returned from a very hectic day at the ICHF Sewing for Pleasure (Fashion Embroidery & Stitch and Hobby Crafts) show which is currently on at the Birmingham NEC.
At first I planned to visit on Sunday but thought that I'd go today (the first day of the show) instead.

Foolishly, I thought that it may be quieter with it being a week-day but no such luck . . . The place was chokka-block!
grrrrrrr


This is the 3rd time that I've visited the show. It started with a 1 hour drive to Birmingham and a further 1 hour wait in the queue to get into the actual car park.  Not impressed!  Normally the flow of traffic into the NEC is much better but today it was bloomin' awful.

Anywhoo.... I digress......

.... Once I'd paid up the RIDICULOUS £10 parking fee (it's not like we have a choice of where to park when visiting the HUGE venue), I made my way in and promptly paid for my £12 entry ticket on the door.

Natura Leigh Stand - Pic kindly borrowed from another blog....

The stalls seemed more varied this year so I had a good nosey around and bought a few goodies whilst there.
 
My FAVOURITE stands, by far had to be the Embroiderers' Guild and a company, I'd not previously heard of, Natura Leigh, which sold the most beautiful French Chambray fabrics.

Sadly, I'd spent my pre-arranged budget by the time I stumbled upon these gorgeous materials but I'll defo be visiting their on-line store soon to stock up.

The quality of the fabric and the hues are just gorgeous. Very chic things could be made with these. I'm sure I'll be blogging about some projects made with these very soon so keep popping back.


The Embroiderer's guild were proudly displaying a HUGE variety of work by their members. The lady on the stand (name?) told me that the objective was for each of their branches to get their members involved in producing a postcard sized piece of embroidery to welcome the visiting nations for the London 2012 Olympics. Each branch were given a country to represent....

Outside the stand

Just one of the walls of postcards

.... here are some of my favourite pieces .....

French knot sheep (Great Britain)
 






Blue poppies/flowers

French knot map (Ukraine?)




Loving the Lion King design......



Netherlands





3D detail = stunning
 I liked these so much that I'm considering doing something similar with my Year 10 Textiles group... this would help them to practise and refine their embroidery and creativity skills.

The Brother stand also gave me an idea for KS4 Textile projects.... Applique Canvasses.....





These are actually on display to promote the different sewing machine feet available (most of which I now have for my brilliant Brother Innov-is 20L Machine). They struck me as a lovely idea to do with pupils.

I'm going to go and sort through my purchases now and to get a well-earned cup of tea but before I do, many thanks  to the above companies from whom I did get permission to photograph their work.

Gem
x

No comments: