Wednesday, 29 August 2012

The holidays are almost over.......

... and I've spent most of them being poorly but thankfully the second round of meds seems to have worked and I'm much better ........... just in time for work! Doh!

Despite seeing off the remainder of my cough, I have been busy and am now back at the gym in the effort to shift a few pounds. Hopefully my health will allow me to see it through this time!

I've also had a day in London with my sister and nephew, both of which had never been, so we did the whole tourist thing and had a BRILLIANT time. There was a HUGE downpour and thunderstorm as we were standing by the London Eye, opposite the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben which was spectacular. We got that soaked though that we had to abandon our visit to the Tower of London. Instead, we rushed off to Oxford Street in search of a Primark and a cheap change of clothes!
It was a brilliant day and I think we'll have to make a yearly thing of it.



Since it is my nephews 16th birthday in a few weeks, I surprised both of them to a speedboat trip down the Thames for a unique guided tour of some iconic buildings. It was the highlight of the day, especially when they blasted out the theme to James Bond and Baywatch as we hurtled down past Canary Wharf. A very funny moment which we'll never forget.

We also spotted a few of the Mandeville & Wenlock characters, the London 2012 mascots on our travels.... here's a selection of my favourites:

'Film Star' Wenlock (Leicester Square)

'Flower Seller' Mandeville (Covent Garden)

'Tourist' Wenlock (Covent Garden)

'Aquarium' Wenlock

My favourite, 'Big Ben' Wenlock :D
More Mandeville amd Wenlock characters can be seen here. I've seen the 'Cow Parade' in Manchester and the 'Bears' in Congleton but think that the Olympic Mascots are some of my favourite yet.

On the sewing front, I've been busy getting on with my Craftsy August #2 block... I has to be said that I've not particularly enjoyed the August blocks....... 'Flying Geese' and 'Stars' are not for me but I'm getting on with them for the experience if nothing else.  I just hate all the faffing about getting all the squares and rectangles cut to size..... I'll steer away from these block types in the future.

Craftsy Block - August #1



No comments: