Sunday, 8 January 2012

Stitchy Sunday Morning

Good morning all,

So the festivities are over and I went back to work this week.  It's amazing how it feels like Christmas never actually happened after only 3 days back at the 'chalk-face'!

I am not yet back at college for the 2nd part of my course but I'm looking forward to getting back into the classroom (as a learner that is!).  I am now on the 'Intermediate Dressmaking' course which I am very proud of.  I am now what I would class as an 'Advanced Beginner' - who'd of thought! ;p

One of the main things  I look forward to learning this term is working with linings. This'll be very handy as one of my current projects is now at the stage that I need to add a lining (see below). I am putting this off until I have a little more knowledge under my belt.

So, this is what I am currently working on in my stitchy little space.......

1) McCalls M5916 - Pattern 'A' - Childs' dress - Size L


I figure that if I am to practise and improve my dress making skills then childrens' clothes are the way forward.  This way, I get to experience modifying, translating and applying my pattern cutting/reading skills without the expense of using up LOADS of fabric :)  I'm sure that I'll be able to donate them to a friend's little-one once completed too. Everyone's happy! 

8 pieces

Back of dress - basted & ready for zip insertion

I LOVE tailors tacks ;O)

As you can see here, I have used a lovely soft linen fabric and marked out all the key parts using tailors tacks........  (These are really simple yet genius markings which help to line up all pattern pieces accurately - you'll have to excuse my enthusiasm but I love these!)

In a minute, I am going to work on the 2 back pieces (basted together in picture above), I need to sew half way up and then insert a zip. I am a little anxious about this but also excited ..... pics to follow.

2) My second project is one that I mentioned previously - McCall's M6011 - Dress 'B' - Size 12




As you can see, I have cut out the pattern pieces for this dress also. I have also applied interfacing to the midriff section of the dress but as yet, I still need to but and prepare the lining..... something I have not as yet ever done but look forward to learning about and putting into practice when I get back to college.  

I have completed parts of the pattern instructions that I can for this dress...
Pleated neckline detail

You can see the tailors task here doing their thang!
 I have chosen a suiting material from Abakhan for this dress as I intend to wear it to work...... fingers crossed that this'll work out well enough!  
I need to get a new sewing apprentice though as this one is more of a hinderance than a help!




So this afternoon then, I need to carry on with the child's dress - in between housework that is!  I'll be back during the week to update you on my progress. 

Until then, take care and happy crafting





No comments: