Saturday, 8 October 2011

Sewing projects this weekend.......


So this weekend I have just completed my first ever trousers (well PJ bottoms anyhow) and I have to say, I'm very impressed. I have found making trousers not nearly as difficult as I had imagined and am pretty baffled at why I have kept putting this type of project off?! I am now already planning my next pair :O)


New Look 6354


I have used New Look pattern (6354)for this project and although the envelope contains 6 patterns, for items incuding skirts and casual trousers, not PJ bottoms per-se, they are perfect for this type of project. 
As this is my first time making trousers, these have actually been made out of a cream cotton bed sheet - cheap and cheerful - not to mention a great way to up-cycle any bedding you no longer need.

I have used this pattern before, to make a lovely summer skirt out of some fabric I bought from John lewis as shown below:



New Look 6354

As a 'sewing newbie' have found this to be a particularily good pattern to start with and I  highly recommend it if you are also new to patterns and want to have a go at something not too daunting.  I have tackled button holes, pattern cutting and layout, seams and hems, adding an elastic waistband to name but a few skills and feel my confidence growing as a result.  More reviews for this pattern (and many others) can be found here

So now that I have completed the pyjama bottoms, I am going to be tackling a matching applique top on Tuesday evening at college.  I'll update this blog with photos just as soon as I have done this :O)

In the meantime, I do have several other projects on the go at the moment including these two: A lovely bib for my friends new baby boy, as taken from Mollie makes, Issue 6 (a great magazine if you haven't already seen it). I am making it from a piece of pre-shrunk linen and embroidering it with a lovely baby bird who is about to recieve a worm off his caring mum.......


my bib is half completed and is shown here, laid out on the LH page of Mollie makes magazine


Things that need to be finished off on this project include: ric-rac trimming, embroidery, neck opening to be cut out, backing cotton fabric needs to be added and a velcro or popper-stud type fastening will finish it off nicely (although a short ribbon tie-fastner is used in the magazine) ..... It'll be great when it is completed for little Oskar :O)

Finally, I am determined to finish the hem of my sewing machine cover in a minute..... very bright I know but so much better than the cheap, boring cover which was provided for my machine!  (see my previous posts for my tutorial/diary of this cover manufacture)